23 June 2013

I wanna be Haile


 












I've always got a huge kick out of watching Haile Gebrselassie run. In my view, he has the best running form of any long distance runner. Haile set 27 world records in his career. The 2008 Berlin Marathon was extra special. At the age of 35 he won in a time of  2.03.59 breaking his own record by nearly half a minute. NO QUESTION - the greatest distance runner in history.

When I run, it's like a carbon copy of Haile. Well, in my mind anyway. The trick is to keep looking straight ahead. Never look at your reflection in a car or shop window and never ever watch a video of yourself a friend may have taken of your last outing. Trust me ... close your eyes and think of Haile.

Week 5 done. Three to go to complete my base building 80 km per week schedule. I'm feeling like a totally different runner now. I'm stronger, fitter and happier. BEST SPORT EVER. Have a great week everyone.



4 comments:

  1. That's a good week, Mark. You're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a good man Bob. Thanks for the encouragement. After my 53 min 12k on Saturday I immediately thought of your 2.44 PB and the shear gap between us. I also thought what a thrill it must have been to run a marathon at that pace (3.53 min/km).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're preaching to the converted when you say "Best Sport Ever"! And you're also spot on about Bob! ;) Hope everything holds together for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not so sluggish yourself Mr 2.45 ... a 3.54.9 min/km!

    ReplyDelete