8 September 2013

Climbing 232m requires 2581 calories

Tihiotonga hill





















Rotorua is a relatively small city. If you like retail therapy this isn’t the place for you. A Sunday afternoon drive however does have its benefits. We are after all rich with many natural wonders that tourists flock to see.  Being surrounded by 16 lakes, each abundant with over sized rainbow trout is a big draw card as are our many hot pools, geysers and sulphuric mud baths. With the city set in a caldera, a drive in any direction for long enough will eventually get you to a point where the view is simply breathtaking.  Today I had that same loss of breath only this time it was the result of a climb/run with my car nowhere to be seen!






















The launch into my Auckland Marathon training program required a 30k Sunday run, 90k for the week. With the longer distance, I was keen to get in another hill and this was one which looked doable in the car. Let’s face though, breaking Usain Bolts 100m world record looks doable in the car too! This ‘mountain’ was around 102m over 3k and the third hill I tackled in this new route – total elevation for the day, 232m.

Fueling todays run alone required 2518C. These numbers don’t mean a lot to me but I have noticed my food intake creeping up. Maybe I need to step back and ask, am I eating correctly? See what you think. In any given week I routinely have for breakfast 2 pieces of toast with a cup of milo. Lunch, 2 large ham and lettuce sandwiches, a handful of non salted almonds, energy chocolate and two cups of milo. For dinner … it just seems easier to show you with an image depicting volume.  Eating late into the evening isn’t ideal I know but after a long day at work followed by a run … I just can’t help myself!

A solid training week. Really enjoyed my long run.


 

5 comments:

  1. Too much bread! 10 pieces a day.... Bread is not the carbs that you want (what you do eat, make whole grain, not white).
    Not enough fruit (well, none) and not enough vegetables.
    I don't know what milo is, but that looks like orange juice, which is also not good (loaded with sugar).
    Energy chocolate? You don't need energy from chocolate, especially if it's milk chocolate. A small amount of dark chocolate is ok sometimes.
    Get more protein from good sources, such as fish and beans.
    Also, I would recommend a bigger, and better, breakfast (for example, oatmeal instead of toast), and a smaller lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually respond fairly quickly to comments I get but with your latest one Bob I needed a little time. Well done for spotting my abhorrence to all fruit bar bananas. I tell myself that I make up for it with the amount of vegetables I eat which I neglected to point out in this post. My wife (Japanese) eats the food of champions as you would expect. She and I sat down this evening and discussed your comment and also Ewens that follows. We've agreed to do some things differently which she's wrapped about. She's annoyed though, at how readily Id take on board your dietary suggestions given how long she's fort and failed with the same thing! Anyway, thanks for the push. I'll keep you 'posted'.

      Delete
  2. Agree with Bob re the diet. Cut down carbs a lot, esp processed, more 'good' fats/protein - you'll have more energy, won't be as hungry and run faster.

    Nice long run. A 300m climb around here would be from the lake to Ainslie, which is steep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My weakness ...'empty calories'. Replace these with healthier options and I'm twice the runner. Thanks Ewen. The trick will be making habitual changes though. I Googled Ainslie and discovered it's a mountain. 842m straight up in the heat of a Canberra summer would indeed be a challenge ... but the view!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha - I'm the same. I'll read something and tell my wife I'm going to start doing it. She'll say, "I said that 2 years ago and now because you read it in a running magazine you're going to do it!"

    ReplyDelete