17 November 2013

Why do I run?


























I struggled a little to complete the week. I know I’m not alone when I sometimes question the reason for running which can be difficult to make sense of. I guess it really depends on where you are in your life which is why no two runners have the same story. It would be simple to say that for me its purpose solely comes from a long held dream to one day compete at a Boston Marathon. I think if it was just about that, then maybe I’d missed the point entirely. It’s easy when asked, why I run to reply with ‘Boston’. It’s harder to talk about the joy of the journey though. The feeling that today I’m better than I was yesterday isn’t easy to talk about let alone write about. But you know.

I needed a little pick me up this week and on Saturday I got it with a ‘where the hell did that come from’ 12K tempo run. I ran at an average pace of 4.12 min/km surpassing my previous best of 4.18. Breaking down the run further, my 10K time came in at 42.03 - 45 seconds better than the time I have as a PB. So I put it to you. Does this count as a PB or are PBs only recognised out of events?


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTlmxYwiqw4















I finally have a window into what it feels like running a sub 3 hour marathon. Now if I could only just hang on to that for another 30K!

It’s funny how our thinking changes as we get older. I began running 16 years ago to offset the negative effects of smoking. I convinced myself then that so long as I ran I could smoke and I did just that for a further 11 years before quitting.  And how about you guys, why do you run?

Indefatigable, a word I stumbled on which was new to me and absolutely doesn’t apply at a 4.12 pace. Well for me anyway.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co9mW_9hH2g



http://connect.garmin.com/activity/404661354

5 comments:

  1. Great training session, but I wouldn't count it as a PB. Only official races on certified accurate courses count. Sorry about that ;) I denied myself a 36:10 PB decades ago because the course wasn't certified. I'm a tough bastard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you are indeed a tough bastard Ewen. I figured as much given my wife said something similar too! A 36.10 is a great time. You must have been absolutely flying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was 25 years ago Mark. Feels like I'm flying just as fast now if I run 46:10!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was 25 years ago Mark. Feels like I'm flying just as fast now if I run 46:10!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was 25 years ago Mark. Feels like I'm flying just as fast now if I run 46:10!

    ReplyDelete