14 April 2014

Inguinal hernia


Careful guys. It'll happen when you least expect it













WARNING: The following contains information intended for adults only. Content may be particularly disturbing for ‘mature’ males.

DEFINITION: In an inguinal hernia, the intestine or the bladder protrudes through the abdominal wall or into the inguinal canal in the groin. About 80% of all hernias are inguinal, and most occur in men because of a natural weakness in this area (source WebMD).

It hasn’t bothered me at all for the past 4 years. The trigger point that first time was simply crossing my right leg over my left while sitting watching TV. The resulting discomfort is hard to explain but I’ll give it a crack. Close your eyes and picture a golf ball slipped into a nylon stocking. Then imagine it now tethered to your left …. well you know … (it’s what we men have and there are usually two of them). Nothing too uncomfortable so far right? Well how would you then feel running the 100m hurdles without support. In other words naked. I know, a terrifying thought and I don’t mean for the spectators either! 

The diagnosis at that time was that the hernia was small but may eventually need surgery. Since then Ive been super careful and haven’t crossed my legs once. Then two weeks ago the capping machine at work went on the blink and needed to be serviced. It was while loading it into my car for repair that my relapse occurred. 















I’m 90% better today but it’s taken two weeks and as a result my training has really suffered. I even pulled myself from the Tauranga Half Marathon. I made sure however to keep up with all of my long runs but anything with a tempo component has had to be shelved. After all with the all-important Rotorua Marathon just 3 weeks away I don’t want to make another balls-up of it ….


... what do you mean that wasn't funny!
 













 













3 comments:

  1. Ouch! Hope you recover quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was funny. Hope your boys are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew you guys would understand. Eye watering stuff for sure but feeling a lot better now thanks.

    ReplyDelete