26 January 2015

Comfortably numb

Gee whiz Mark. Where's that toothbrush been?





















I did the sensible thing and gave the body an untimely rest for most of the week. That bloody training schedule had me down for 100k but due to slight shin splint symptoms I decided to pull right back. On Sunday however I needed a confidence boosting trail run to finish a light week. I got it too running my 30k Blue lake course in a time way better than I’d ever done before. A few niggles along the way but nothing unexpected. Two weeks now to the Tarawera Ultra.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOfkwA26hrY













Looking back over the past couple of months I’ve been 1 or 2 runs short each week. From most recent they’ve totaled 60, 100, 75, 80, 90, 70, 65, and 90k/week. The nasty weekend doubles were new to me and certainly made it harder to begin the following week. More often than not I’d start a day later on the Wednesday. I do think the combination of road and trail running I’ve committed to will help and if I can get the nutrition and hydration aspects right I should do well. I’ve never run further than 45k and the thought of 15k more both excites and terrifies me. If I can get myself into a state of being comfortably numb later in the day everything should work out just fine.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cPxKq-gMDo













Ever had problems with your Garmin not charging or unexpectedly draining battery life? It can be a real headache. Especially if you’ve just bought the thing! Well I tried everything. A reset, charging it at the wall instead of via the computer, prayer, a post to Garmin helpline, a further reset to factory settings, a gentle shake and a vigorous shake all made absolutely no difference. That was until I came across another online user experiencing the same problem of charging it only to find that it was doing the opposite and being drained of power.  The answer given pointed to the perils of dirty, sweaty contact points. Seeing the word sweaty instantly registered with me given my cotton tee passion and I read on. “Any type of debris i.e. soap, sweat, dead skin or dirt on the back four charging contacts may be a reason for your issue”. The solution given was a clean with an old toothbrush or cotton swab which hasn’t failed me yet. 

My hygiene standards are usually impeccable and it brings me great shame to admit this recent indiscretion. But my sense of duty to the running community out there makes this sacrifice all the more necessary.


GARMIN link to my Sunday run












7 comments:

  1. And there I was, thinking you were cleaning your Garmin just for the sake of keeping it clean! It's something I need to do regularly with my two GPS watches as they're both white! (And I have two because one is prettier than the other, and the pretty one is rubbish for intervals or travelling above 40km/h).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I never considered my own sweat to be dirty though. I used to use the world famous 310XT. The best running watch ever made. I then went out and bought the incredibly average (for running) Fenix. Why? Because it looked oh so pretty.

      Delete
  2. Same here ^. Hope you brushed your teeth first. Might try that with my 305 as it's only holding a charge for 2 hours (not enough for my biking exploits). An ultra running mate of mine gave me a tip (too late for my 305 I think) - only charge (if you can) via the wall plug, not via USB if you want maximum power and battery life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very funny Ewen. Of course I brushed my teeth first. Never really charged at the wall so will make the switch now. Ah the old 305. A beast of a watch for sure and just as good as the 310XT. For cleaning the contact points on the 305 use an eraser. Like the one on a pencil. Apparently works wonders.

      Delete
    2. I used wet & dry sandpaper on mine (I have tough sweat). I'm breaking in a 910XT, which drives similarly to the 310 but battery supposed to last for 20 hours. Haha - with all alerts turned off Mr Garmin? Doesn't look pretty (the new version does), but I'm as cheap as Scott Brown.

      Delete
  3. Hey I'm not cheap! When my Garmins get dirty I don't bother cleaning them I just buy a new one! ;)

    ReplyDelete