6 July 2015

Running can be complicated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRdYuZt43Gw















Today I bid farewell to the York T200 treadmill. I’d hired it for a month which cost me $88 NZD inclusive of drop-off, pick-up, a drink bottle and wait for it … Ferrero Rocher chocolates, an affordable luxury treat that combines a gentle roasted whole hazelnut with a rich creamy centre. Each encased in a crisp wafer shell and finally covered in the finest Italian chocolate and crunchy hazelnut pieces. But I digress …

I felt satisfied I had gotten all I could from the T200 so there really wasn’t any point paying for another month. I’d secretly gobbled up all 3 chocolates without being spotted and I felt confident I’d identified running form weaknesses I could work on in the months ahead. 

From the footage taken at a front on view I made the following notes; drop the left shoulder, tuck in left elbow, turn palms up, drive arms to centre of chest and at nipple height and rotate the left ankle out. From side on the adjustments were just; pull head up high and push pelvis forward. 

Perfecting this and all at once hasn’t come without sacrifice. I now have the unusual habit of poking my tongue out of the left hand corner of my mouth. A side effect of the incredible concentration required to multitask at this level. The video at the start of this post is the ‘after’ clip minus the tongue. Trust me you did not want to see the ‘before’ clip.














3 comments:

  1. Mark, hope you didn't gain too much weight from that massive box of chocolates. "Sitting down" (as you mentioned), pelvis tilted back, is my main observation. And running so close to the back of the treadmill I'm suprised you didn't have a massive accident ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I fix this pelvic alignment with an exercise or is it simply a conscious thing to work on while I run? And to think that during this video I was already trying to make the correction necessary. Imagine what I look like fatigued :-( Maybe I just have a big arse! Bloody chocolates ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think about it while you're running. Also when you're walking! There are some stationary 'running drills' I recall, such as standing on one leg while 'circling' the other in a running motion, starting with the thigh parrallel to the ground - when doing that, keep the hips forward and stable.

      Delete